- Special events include Festivals, parades, athletic events, block parties, filming and more!
The application process is set up to follow the City’s Special event Ordinance
- City's special events ordinance (Section 15-176, et seq.)
If you have questions, please see our 2 contact methods
- Applications for 2023 will be accepted starting 01/09/2023.
- Applications for 2024 will be accepted starting 01/08/2024.
- The application must be submitted at least 30 calendar days prior to the event.
- Federal/State/City Holidays and weekends are not working days. The application will not be reviewed during this time.
Special event means a planned temporary aggregation of people or attractions for a common purpose, including but not limited to, street fairs, arts and crafts shows, carnivals, circuses, rallies, public entertainments, or similar events or attractions, that:
- Are conducted primarily outdoors; and
- Interfere with the normal flow or regulation of pedestrian or vehicular traffic; or
- Require special city services, that may include but are not limited to: street closure; provisions of barricades; special garbage collection and removal; special parking arrangements; special electrical services; and special police services.
Before submitting the special event application, read the Special Event Checklist and City's special events ordinance (Section 15-176, et seq.). If you have Special Events questions you would like to submit, click here.
Special Events applications must be completed and submitted with the appropriate non-refundable processing fee at a MINIMUM of 30 days prior to the event.
Block Party requests are used by residents for neighborhood block parties.
A site map will be required to share with the safety planning departments.
Once the block party application is submitted, it is internally reviewed and then sent to the appropriate Council Member and the Mayor for approval.
Block Party applications must be received at least 30 days prior to the block party date.
For filming in Waukegan
Film Production applications must be received at least 30 days prior to the film date with the appropriate non-refundable processing fee.
City of Waukegan Calendar of Events
View the City's calendar for community events. Neighborhood block parties are not listed on the City's calendar.
Additional event calendars may be found at:
- City of Waukegan Chamber of Commerce
- Jack Benny Center for the Arts
- Waukegan Main Street
- Waukegan Park District
- Waukegan Public Library
- Waukegan Township