Planning and Zoning Commission
- Second Thursday of each month
- City Hall Council Chambers
No expertise is required, but we look for residents who are experts in the fields of law, architecture, real estate, finance, and who may be a local business owner. Members are issued a copy of the Waukegan Zoning Ordinance, Waukegan Subdivision Ordinance, Planning and Zoning Commission Member's Handbook and Land Use Training for Planning and Zoning Commissioners. Members serve three-year terms.
About the Commission
The Commission is an advisory body which makes recommendations to the City Council whether to approve or deny applications for map amendments (zoning changes), text amendments, variances, conditional use permits, preliminary and final plats of subdivisions, and vacations of right-of-way. Other responsibilities include:
- Hear and decide appeals from any order, requirement, decision, or determination made by the zoning administrator under the Zoning Ordinance
- Hear and pass upon application for variations from the terms of the Zoning Ordinance
- Hold public hearings on requests for amendments and conditional uses, and variations, prepare findings and recommendations, and submit these to the City Council
- Conduct an annual review of the Zoning Ordinance and issue a report to the City Council
- Hear and decide all matters referred to it or upon which is required to pass under the Zoning Ordinance
- Reverse, reduce, modify, or affirm, wholly, or in part, any decision brought for review
- Conduct a complete review of Zoning Ordinance and the Comprehensive Plan every three years, holding a series of public meetings thereon, and make recommendations to the City Council
Learn more about the Planning and Zoning Commission.